Spike is a Legendary Brawler with low health but a devastatingly high damage output. His attack is a cactus that explodes on impact and shoots spikes in all directions. His Super lobs a thorny projectile that creates a slowing and damaging patch of spikes on the ground. His first Gadget, Popping Pincushion, rapidly fires waves of spikes in all directions around him. His second Gadget, Life Plant, spawns a cactus to provide cover for him and his teammates, and heals them in a radius once the cactus is destroyed. His first Star Power, Fertilize, allows Spike to heal himself over time when he’s inside his Super’s area of effect. His second Star Power, Curveball, causes the spikes shot out from his attack to curve in a circular motion.
Attack: Needle Grenade
Spike shoots a damaging cactus that, upon impact with a target or wall, or reaching its maximum range, explodes and sends out 6 spikes radially. The pattern is fixed, with 60 degrees between each spike, and it doesn’t rotate with the projectile's angle. The cactus itself deals as much damage as one spike, and the attack deals devastating damage at point-blank range where more spikes can hit the enemy.
Super: Stick Around!
Spike lobs a thorny grenade over obstacles that, upon landing, creates a circular patch of spikes on the ground that lasts for 4.5 seconds. Enemies within its area of effect take damage over time and are slowed.
Spike shoots 10 needles in all directions per wave, and each needle deals 520 damage to enemies. These spikes aren’t affected by his Curveball Star Power and travel 6.67 tiles before disappearing.
Spike spawns a large cactus that has 3500 health. If the cactus is destroyed, the plant bursts and heals all allies in a 3.33 tile radius for 1000 health. If Spike places down another cactus, the initial one will be destroyed and will heal allies.
This Star Power allows Spike to heal 800 health per second by standing in his Super’s area of effect for a total of 3200 health. This Star Power only affects the Spike that planted it.
The spikes shot from his main attack now move in a curving clockwise motion instead of straight out, allowing Spike's attack to cover a larger area and ultimately hit more targets with his attack. This Star Power also effectively increases the range of the spikes.
- Spike has low health, so while using him, practice shooting around obstacles and predicting the enemy’s movement to prevent opportunities for the enemies to damage you. However, his devastatingly high damage output compensates for his low health.
- Spike’s attack deals the highest damage in the game. One of the few ways to deal that maximum damage is to be at point-blank range from the enemy where he can use both his attack and his Popping Pincushion Gadget at that range where the spikes work. This makes him a great counter against close-ranged Brawlers like El Primo and Mortis who need to get close to Spike in order to damage him.
- The 6 spikes in his attack always spread out in the same pattern, at 60-degree angles, no matter your position or rotation. You can use this to know where the spikes will land, making it easier to hit enemies around corners and obstacles. Because of this, having the cactus explode near a target is vital because this increases the chances of multiple spikes hitting the same target.
- Since Spike's spikes can be shot all over the place (especially with Curveball), you can use some of those needles to check bushes for hidden enemies.
- Spike is capable of doing extremely high damage to grouped-up enemies due to the multiple spikes shot out from his attack on impact. His Super’s area damage can also spell trouble for grouped-up enemies, because they can’t easily escape from Spike’s attack or Popping Pincushion Gadget due to the slow.
- When defending a critical objective or controlling an area, Spike’s Super and his Fertilize Star Power are great for area denial, slowing and damaging enemies while healing himself. If the enemy team is fleeing with the Gems in Gem Grab or attempting to score a goal in Brawl Ball, you can hamper them from doing so with your Super while also healing yourself.
- Spike's Fertilize and Life Plant Gadget are useful for healing if your team has no support Brawlers. If you find yourself charging your Super too often, don’t hesitate to use it on yourself to heal you fully while you keep attacking enemies. If you/your allies are low on health and your Super isn’t charged up, you can spawn your Life Plant Gadget down to hide behind and heal up. The extra healing his Life Plant provides when it’s destroyed makes it even better for supporting Spike or his teammates. These mechanics are also useful in Showdown when facing high-damaging enemies or in self-defense, especially in Showdown when being ambushed or pinched.
- If Spike is at point-blank range of the safe in Heist, he can deal extremely high damage to the safe with his Popping Pincushion Gadget along with his high-damaging attack and his Super’s high damage, which makes him an ideal choice in Heist. Popping Pincushion can also serve as a fourth attack or during defense while Spike slowly reloads, and if positioned well can deal over 10000 damage.
- Spike's health was decreased to 600 (from 700).
- Spike's Super's slow duration now decreases once out of it’s area of effect.
- Spike's Super projectile was made to fly faster.
- The health and damage statistics of all Brawlers were multiplied by 4.
- Spike's Fertilize Star Power was added.
- Spike's Fertilize healing was increased to 600 (from 500) health per second.
- Spike's reload time was decreased to 2 seconds (from 2.2 seconds).
- Every Brawler's movement speed was increased by 70 points, increasing Spike's base movement speed to 720 (from 650).
- All Brawlers' projectile speeds were increased by 9%.
- Spike's main attack projectile size was increased.
- The range of the spikes in Spike's attack was decreased from 5 to 4.33 tiles.
- The spines now split in a set pattern (instead of being random).
- Spike and Pinky Spike were remodeled and Pinky Spike was renamed to Sakura Spike.
- Both Spike and Sakura Spike now have re-textured projectiles:
- Sakura Spike shoots flower-like projectiles instead of the normal Spike's needle grenades. Sakura Spike's Super was retextured and now has flowers.
- Spike's spikes were also retextured.
- Quickfire now takes into account the added range from the projectile splitting.
- Spike's main attack effects were polished.
- Spike's Curveball Star Power was added.
- The Robo Spike skin was added.
- Spike's Fertilize healing was increased to 600 (from 500).
- Spike's Fertilize healing was increased to 800 (from 600).
- Spike's Curveball angle was decreased to 50 (from 100), and distance was decreased to 100 (from 200).
- Spike's main attack damage was increased to 520 (from 480) per spike.
- Spike's Popping Pincushion Gadget was added.
- Spike's Curveball angle was increased to 75 (from 50).
- Spike's Popping Pincushion is no longer affected by Curveball.
- Spike's Popping Pincushion was retextured.
- Spike's main attack damage was increased to 560 (from 520) per spike.
- His Super charge rate increased slightly from Super attack.
- The Mask Spike skin was added.
- Spike's reload time was increased to 2.1 seconds (from 2 seconds).
- The Dark Lord Spike skin was added. It was featured as a Lunar Brawl 2021 skin.
- Spike's reload time was decreased to 2 seconds (from 2.1 seconds).
- Spike's True Silver and True Gold skins were added.
- Spike's Life Plant Gadget was added.