The map has a maze-like center with large clumps of bushes on the left side of the map. The bottom and top right both include stumps distributed unevenly just like the bushes. The 2x2 walls in the bottom left are of equal distance from each other, forming a grid-like pattern, with a big lake to the top right of them. There are a lot of skulls in the middle with most of the Power Boxes, too. Skull Creek has no symmetry.
- When playing as a heavyweight like Rosa or El Primo, or assassins like Leon or Edgar, the bottom left area is recommended because you can use the bushes to make a sudden attack on an unsuspecting enemy. You can also hide from longer ranged enemies by hiding behind the numerous 2x2 walls. However, beware that Brawlers with abilities that allow them to target enemies near walls (such as throwers who can attack over walls) may be able to deal considerable damage to close-ranged Brawlers who may not be able to retaliate if enemies keep their distance.
- If playing as a long-ranged Brawler, such as Colt or Piper, it is advisable to move to either the top left or bottom right area of the map because of the open nature of these areas. Because of the lack of obstacles, these Brawlers can make full use of their above average range, however, it is important to check bushes for potential enemies because there are a considerable amount of bushes in both these areas.
- Bo is powerful on this map because there are certain choke points that his mines are almost certain to get good value if placed in. His Snare A Bear Star Power and either Gadget helps.
- Sprout should play in the center just like other throwers. By doing so, Sprout can ensure hits with almost every attack as well as be able to block openings. Since Skull Creek's staggered arrangement results in walls being close to each other, Sprout's Super can sometimes block two entrances/exits if aimed correctly.
- Carl should play in the bottom left or in the middle as there are many obstacles that allow Carl to attack incredibly fast.
- Towards the end of the game, some long-ranged Brawlers might not be as effective because of the walls that are placed in the center of the map. You can prevent this scenario from occurring by using any special abilities at your disposal to destroy the walls surrounding the central area of the map.
- Jacky is a good play as well since you can get the Power Cube boxes fast while also dealing significant damage, and with her Pneumatic Booster Gadget you can hunt down enemies easy while keeping your distance against heavyweights.
- On 14/6/17, Skull Creek was added to the game.
- On 29/8/19, Skull Creek was removed from the game.
- On 18/9/19, Skull Creek was added back to the game as a Lone Star map. It was tweaked to add skulls to the middle area and refresh the block variety.
- On 23/10/19, Skull Creek became a Graveyard Shift map. The environment of Skull Creek changed from the Storm Valley theme to the Mortuary theme.
- On 18/12/19, Skull Creek was now a Showdown map. Skull Creek was affected by the Healing Mushroom Modifier.
- On 2/7/20, Skull Creek was removed from the game.
- On 10/9/20, Skull Creek was added back to the game. The environment of Skull Creek had changed from the Mortuary theme to the Storm Valley theme. Skull Creek was still affected by the Healing Mushroom Modifier.
- On 16/1/21, Skull Creek was featured in the Duo Showdown Challenge as a Stage I map.