The Map Maker is a beta feature in Brawl Stars that’s still in development. Players can create, play in, and share custom maps after reaching 1000 Trophies. The Map Maker feature can be accessed from the "More" menu tab just below the "Friendly Games" button. Players can save up to 5 draft custom maps (as well as one submitted map), and edit, rename, or delete a map at any given time. When in a friendly room, the host of the room can choose a finished map of their own creation, as well as enable Modifiers on that map. They can play with bots, friends, or both.
Only a certain set of events and environments are supported for map creation:
- Gem Grab (Mine and Arcade)
- Bounty (Canyon and Arcade)
- Heist (Canyon and Arcade)
- Solo Showdown (Mortuary and Storm Valley)
- Brawl Ball (Grassy Field)
- Duo Showdown (Mortuary and Storm Valley)
- Hot Zone (Arcade)
- Siege (Scrapyard)
- Knockout (Canyon and Mortuary)
However, it’s expected that in the future, more environments and Events will be available for map creation.
A variety of items can be placed in custom maps. Their variant changes depending on the environment.
|Block 1||All||Blocks movement, attacks and non-destructive abilities. Can be destroyed.|
|Block 2||All||Blocks movement, attacks and non-destructive abilities. Can be destroyed.|
|Box||All||Blocks movement, attacks and non-destructive abilities. Can be destroyed.|
|Barrel||All||Blocks movement, attacks and non-destructive abilities. Can be destroyed.|
|Flooring||All||Adds detail to ground. Can be stepped on.|
|Bush||All||Hides Brawlers. Can be destroyed.|
|Water||All except Brawl Ball||Blocks movement (except for Eve). Can be shot over. Indestructible. Connects with other water tiles.|
|Misc||All||Blocks movement. Can be destroyed.|
|Skull||All||Blocks movement. Can be destroyed with regular attacks.|
|Fence||All||Blocks movement. Can be destroyed. Connects with other fences.|
|Rope Fence||All||Blocks movement. Can be shot over. Can be destroyed. Connects with other fences.|
|Safe||Heist||Places a safe.|
|Siege Bolt||Siege||Spawns Bolts in Siege. Spawn in the order they are placed.|
|Hot Zone||Hot Zone||Places a zone.|
|Power Cube Box||Showdown||Spawns a Power Cube box. 16 boxes or less are guaranteed to spawn. Randomly spawns 16-20 boxes if more than 16 are placed.|
|Launch Pad||All except Brawl Ball||Launches Brawlers. Have a 1-second launch delay and a 3-second cooldown. A direction can be changed by tapping it; every tap will rotate it 45 degrees clockwise.|
|Teleporter||All except Brawl Ball||Teleports Brawlers to the other one depending on its color. Have a 3-second activation time and a 3-second cooldown and can only teleport an entity once per activation. Colors are Blue, Green, Red, and Yellow. Can place 0 or 2 teleporters of each type per map.|
|Spikes||All||Activates between on and off every 3 seconds. Deals 500 damage and knocks back entities when stepped on. Can be stepped over when off.|
|Poison Gas||All||Creates a stationary Showdown poison gas. Damage can stack with Showdown poison gas.|
|Heal Tile||All||Heals Brawlers by 500 health per second when stepped on.|
|Speed Tile||All||Speeds up Brawlers by 300 points. Can stack with other speed buffs.|
|Slow Tile||All||Slows Brawlers by 300 points. All other slows take priority.|
|Spawn Blue||3v3 modes||Spawns Brawlers for player's team in 3v3 modes.|
|Respawn Blue||Brawl Ball||Respawns Brawlers for player's team in Brawl Ball.|
|Spawn Red||3v3 modes||Spawns Brawlers for enemy team in 3v3 modes.|
|Respawn Red||Brawl Ball||Respawns Brawlers for enemy team in Brawl Ball.|
|Spawn Gray||Showdown||Spawns Brawlers in Showdown. Can't be respawned.|
|Spawn Green||Duo Showdown||Spawns Brawlers in Duo Showdown.|
The Map Maker features five placement modes. The modes available are:
- Mirror horizontal
- Mirror vertical
- Mirror diagonal
- Mirror all
- When disabling bots, the spawn points closest to the bottom are disabled. If more than one spawn point is on the same horizontal line, the rightmost spawn point will be disabled.
- Gem mines, initial Brawl Ball positions, and Bounty center stars positions can’t be changed. These have a small radius around them where items cannot be placed. Teleporters and launch pads can’t be placed on the border, and they’re denoted by a red band around the border, indicating prohibition of placing launchpads and teleporters on the spawn points.
- While in editing mode, placed items can be undone, redone, or all cleared.
- A grid option allows players to better place items.
- Maps can’t be saved while having illegal placements such as leaving one-tile gaps between solid blocks or having enclosed spaces. Illegal placements are denoted in a bright glowing red. One can still have closed-off areas if it’s filled up with skulls (or any object that can be destroyed with regular attacks), or position launchpads or teleporters to allow Brawlers to get in without using an attack (Mortis), Super, Gadget, or Star Power.
- Modifiers can be enabled to introduce additional gameplay elements to game modes. More than one can be activated on a custom map. Modifiers can be deactivated before the start of a match however the next time the map is selected it will save it's enabled modifiers.
Only Maps in Draft made will occupy the five map slots.
- Draft: In this stage, you can edit the map as much as you want. You can also play with your friends in Friendly Games to test out the maps. Maps with this status will occupy map spaces (maximum 5). Editing a Map with a Submitted or Greenlit status will revert its status back to Draft.
- Submitted: In this stage, you can invite friends to rate your map through Friendly Games. Although you can still edit the map, the votes will be cleared once you edit it. You can have only one map at this stage at a time.
- Greenlit: After your map gets at least 10 approvals and an approval rate of at least 50%, the map will be Greenlit and available to be published. This status will not occupy your map spaces. You cannot publish anymore greenlit maps if any of the published maps have a rating of below 50% or are banned.
- Rejected: If the map does not get at least a 50% approval rate before it gets 10 approvals or does not become Greenlit within 30 days, it gets rejected. The owner of the map can edit it to improve it and then resubmit. Its existing approvals will be cleared, and rejected maps cannot be played in Friendly Games unless edited afterwards.
- Published: After you publish the map, there is no way to unpublish it other than deleting it. Maps with this status will be available to everyone to play in another event slot called "Candidates of the Day". No Trophies will be lost or gained in this event. The map that is most highly rated will proceed to "Winner of the Day".
- Featured: The map is featured in the Candidates of the Day event slot. You will receive an inbox message about the results of the map including amount of participants and positive vote percentage.
- Winner: The map was/is featured in the Candidates of the Day event slot and won. You will receive an inbox message notifying that it is now in the Winner of the Day event slot.
- Banned: If enough people report a map, the map will automatically be banned. The owner of the map will receive an inbox message, and the banned maps can only be deleted. Banned maps cannot be played in Friendly Games.
- Candidates of the Day: Maps from all around the world that are approved by more than 10 friends and given a 50% or higher approval rating will be playable here. The map in this slot will change every 10 seconds, and you cannot see the map name, author, or layout before joining the match. After every match, you will be prompted to vote for the map (either upvote or downvote) and you cannot play the map again (hence the absence of the Play Again button). You will receive 10 Tokens for your first three votes of the day. Trophies will not be gained or lost while playing in this slot, but progress can be made toward Quests.
- Winner of the Day: The most upvoted map from the previous day will be in this slot. You can see the map name, author, and layout before joining a match. Like the Candidates of the Day, Trophies will not be gained or lost for playing matches in this map slot, although progress can be made towards Quests. You can use the Play Again button after a match of the Winner of the Day.