In the Gem Grab Event, there are two teams, each of which consists of 3 players. In the middle of the arena, there is a gem mine that produces purple Gems every 7 seconds. The objective of the game mode is for your team to obtain 10 Gems. When a player is defeated, they will drop all of the Gems that they have picked up. Once a team has 10 Gems, a countdown will appear on screen which lasts 15 seconds. If the counter gets to 0, the team that obtained the countdown will win. The countdown will stop and reset if a Brawler is defeated and drops enough Gems for their team to drop below 10. If both teams have more than 10 Gems and the same number of Gems, the countdown will not start until one team has more Gems than the other team.
There can never be more than 29 Gems in play at once. When the 29th Gem is spawned, a 30 second countdown will begin. Once this timer expires, the game will end, and the team holding the most Gems will win. Also, when there are at least 10 Gems lying on the map, the mine will not produce any more Gems until a Brawler picks one up.
- Gale: Gale is extremely niche for control based events like Gem Grab. He can chip away at enemies and the enemy Gem carrier consistently with his attack, and his fast reload speed allows him to constantly chip away at enemies. His Super can be used to push away high-damaging enemies and tanks/assassins from approaching the Gem carrier. His Super can also push enemies away from the gem mine, allowing him and his allies to collect Gems with ease.
- Nita: With her relatively high health and area damage, Nita is an excellent counter to groups of enemies collecting Gems. In addition, Bruce can not only track down enemies that are hiding in bushes and force them to move away, but also it can be used to protect the Gem carrier, as well as hindering enemies from collecting the Gems if the Gem carrier gets taken out.
- Pam: Pam is a decent Gem carrier. Her healing turret along with her Mama's Hug Star Power and Pulse Modulator Gadget can keep her team alive, and her high health lets her tank some damage to retrieve Gems. Her Mama's Squeeze can also be used in this game mode to control enemy territory much easier.
- Poco: Poco is a great Gem carrier. His widespread attacks can deal a lot of damage to groups of Brawlers, and he can heal himself and his teammates to stay in the fight. Poco does particularly well with tanks such as Rosa, especially with his Da Capo! Star Power and his Tuning Fork Gadget, as this allows the tanks to be continuously aggressive without having to constantly fall back to heal.
- Jessie and Penny: When enemies clump up, their ability to hit multiple targets can deal a high amount of damage, allowing them to hold the Gems very well. Their Supers can be used to control an area or the Gem mine and keep enemies distracted, with Penny’s mortar being better off placing hers behind walls.
- Tara: Tara can use her Super to either grab the enemy Gem carrier for her and her teammates to defeat them and steal the Gems or bunch up all of the enemies to prevent them from defeating her team's Gem carrier. Her Psychic Enhancer Gadget is also useful for tracking down enemies (especially Gem carriers) in bushes.
- Rosa: Rosa's Super allows her to rush into the Gem mine and escape, even if all three Brawlers are attacking her. Her fast movement speed also allows her to catch up to the Gem carrier and defeat them. In maps with an abundance of bushes, her Plant Life Star Power can boost her survivability, especially if she’s the Gem carrier. Her Grow Light Gadget can be used to connect lanes of bushes to sneak in and out with the Gems much easier.
- Gene: Gene's Super can be used to take an enemy out the fight, making it easier for your team and leaving the enemies at a 2v3 situation. His Super should especially be used on the Gem carrier, which can potentially change the fate of the match. His Magic Puffs Star Power is very essential for this mode because Gene's teammates will likely be injured from trying to collect the Gems, and Gene can then heal his teammates, especially the Gem carrier. He can also use his Super to pull low-health enemies towards the minecarts in Minecart Madness to eliminate them.
- Tick: Tick can be used for area control of the map, especially on the Gem mine, preventing enemies from collecting Gems. His Super can be used to track down enemies, especially the Gem carrier and defeat them or can be used as defense for yourself or your teammates.
- Bo: Bo can be a great Gem carrier. With his Super, he can spawn it onto the gem mine. The enemies will most likely walk into the mines, making him versatile for area control. If his team is winning, he can place the mines under his feet so if he’s defeated, any enemies that attempt to defeat Bo will likely fall into the trap. This strategy works very well with his Snare A Bear Star Power.
- Barley: While not necessarily a high-tier Gem carrier, attacking early can maintain area control and delay opponents' access to the Gem mine, force injured Brawlers out of bushes, and can keep allied Gem carriers secure by keeping enemies at a distance.
- Emz: Emz acts as a bodyguard for a gem carrier, putting enemies at bay with her area control attack and Super. Rosa, Jacky, and other commonly played "aggro" Brawlers can be stopped in their tracks with a combination of her main attack and slowing Super. She can also control the Gem mine with her attack’s ability to linger. Her greatest threats are enemy sharpshooters and throwers, which can defeat her at range.
- Mr. P: Mr. P is a decent Gem carrier and a good support Brawler too. His attacks can bounce over walls, allowing for great area denial and hindering enemies from healing. His Super is very useful - his porters can continuously spawn and help tank a shot or two for your teammates or seek out aggressive enemies, even more helped with his Revolving Door Star Power, because the rate of which the porters spawned will increase, pressuring enemies.
- Spike: Spike is capable of dealing massive damage at close range or grouped-up enemies due to his main attack exploding on impact and the spikes from it being shot in all directions. His Super is also very useful for either controlling the Gem mine or slowing down the retreating enemy team if they’re retreating with Gems.
- Sandy: Sandy can provide much value by placing down his Super, allowing allied Gem carriers to escape with the Gems. His Sleep Stimulator Gadget can keep him alive if he is carrying Gems. Sandy’s attack also pierces, making it effective against grouped-up enemies.
- Colette: Colette is a good tank counter to many of the tanks common in this game mode as she can easily strip them down. Her Super can also be useful for collecting Gem from fallen enemies or from the Gem mine while being able to dash away quickly.
- Max: Max is a great Brawler for this mode because she can boost her and teammates' movement speed with her Super to either rush in to or retreat from the Gem mine, all the while collecting Gems; her Phase Shifter Gadget is also useful for the latter.
- Rico: One of the better sharpshooters for Gem Grab, Rico outmatches many other long-ranged Brawlers due to his bouncing ability, making him great on enclosed maps where others would have trouble. While Rico's fairly low health means that he should normally play as an aggro support, at critical situations he can rush in with his Robo Retreat Star Power, grab any possible Gems, and retreat to safety.
- 8-BIT: 8-BIT is one of the best Brawlers in this mode. Although 8-BIT has a very slow movement speed, 8-BIT is able to provide a lot of support for his teammates by increasing their damage inside his turret, allowing them to deal a lot of damage to their enemies, which helps them gain control. Additionally, he is able to alleviate his slow movement speed with his Plugged In Star Power. Combined with his Cheat Cartridge Gadget, 8-BIT is excellent both as a Gem carrier and to pressure enemies.
- Byron: Byron can offer immense utility for his team, as his main attack can both deal high damage and heal his teammates by a significant amount over time. Additionally, his Super can both deal a good amount of damage to enemies and heal his teammates and himself at the same time. His Shot in the Arm Gadget provides himself with healing, therefore boosting his survivability, which makes him one of the most versatile Brawlers for Gem Grab.
- Sprout: Similar to throwers, Sprout is a pseudo-thrower that can consistently keep enemies away from the Gem mine, especially in maps with a lot of walls. Not only is its Super useful for enclosing the Gem mine and hindering enemies from collecting Gems, but it can additionally block enemies from reaching your team with the Gems. Throughout the match, Sprout can stay alive with a combination of its Garden Mulcher Gadget and Photosynthesis Star Power.
- Amber: Amber is a great Brawler for Gem Grab because of her long range and her Super that can destroy bushes. Amber is decent both when you want to grab Gems or defend a teammate. With Amber's Wild Flames Star Power and her Fire Starter Gadget, she can charge her Super by using her Gadget behind a wall and charge her Super with her Star Power. When Amber has her Super, she should throw it behind enemy walls to burn the bushes and hopefully burn enemies hiding there. She’s also versatile for area control, as she can place her fluid(s) over the Gem mine, and if an enemy attempts to cross the puddle to collect Gems, she can ignite it, burning the enemy and rendering the enemy vulnerable.
- Griff: Griff is a great Brawler for area denial Brawler, as his Super and Piggy Bank Gadget can be deployed on the Gem mine, hampering enemies from heading into the mine for a significant amount of time and allowing him and his teammates to collect Gems with ease. In addition, his high damage output with both his attack and Super allow him to get rid of enemies quickly, defend the team Gem carrier, or quickly eliminate the enemy Gem carrier despite his slow unload speed.
- Stu: Stu is a versatile Brawler in Gem Grab. Because his Super charges in one hit, he can either play 2 roles: an aggressor or the Gem carrier. As an aggro, using his Super, he can chip away and poke at enemies with his attacks and dodge their fire with his Super. As an Gem carrier, with his Super, he can dash up and collect Gems and he can also evade dangerous area control with his Super from Brawlers such as Amber, Bo, Lou, or throwers.
- Squeak: Squeak is effective at area control, his attack and Super’s stick mechanic can force enemies to avoid the Gem carrier or the Gem mine. He can also use his Windup Gadget to defeat the enemy Gem carrier if the enemy us escaping from your team.
- El Primo: El Primo has high health so he can tank damage for his teammates. His Trait allows him charges his Super up easily, which can be used to jump onto the Gem mine and collect Gems or retreat with Gems, as a Gem Carrier. Additionally, he can be an aggro by jumping onto the enemy team and defeating them. His high damage output and his El Fuego Star Power can justify this strategy even more, and his Asteroid Belt Gadget can be used for area control.
- Controlling the area around the gem mine is important early in the game. Keep enemy Brawlers away while your team collects the Gems as they appear.
- If you hold many of your team's Gems, do not push forward without back-up from your allied Brawlers. If you are defeated without back-up, the enemy team will easily collect all of your Gems and gain the upper hand.
- If you are part of the losing team during a countdown, you do not have to go for the enemy with the most Gems. Defeat any enemy that could stop the countdown, collect the gem(s), and retreat.
- If you are part of the winning team during a countdown, it is most advantageous to either retreat if you are holding Gems or protect your teammates who hold your team's Gems. Do not act reckless, meaning throwing yourself out, as it can leave your team at a disadvantage.
- A common strategy is to have one aggressive Brawler, one gem carrier, and one support Brawler. The aggressive Brawler's job is generally to wreak havoc on the other team, going into enemy territory to do so, (i.e. Bull, Crow, Stu, etc.). The Gem carrier should carry all of the Gems and be protected by the support Brawler. Common Gem carriers are Pam, Poco, and Jessie. They also have support mechanics that can assist everybody in the team such as Sandy's Super or Barley's Herbal Tonic Gadget.
- When you are playing a Brawler who can travel using their Super (Piper, Darryl, Edgar, etc.), do not try to jump into the gem mine without support unless you are not carrying Gems.
- Colette can use her super to grab the Gems and run which is very useful especially when the enemies are close to the Gems. You can use jumpers like El Primo or Piper to collect the Gems and jump out of the main area.
- Often, getting behind enemy lines is really important, especially in maps like Hard Rock Mine, Double Swoosh, or Twisted Torpedo, which contain a lot of bushes and cover.
- On 18/12/17, Star Player is now less likely to be awarded to players who dropped a lot of Gems.
- On 5/12/18, the Gem Grab maps are now 4 tiles wider.
- On 15/4/19, the Gem mine now spawns the second gem later.
- On 16/12/20, the length of time Gem Grab lasts has now been adjusted. Now it lasts for 3 minutes and 30 seconds.
- On 16/6/21, the Gems now spawn in a fixed order.