Cavern Churn is an official map for the Showdown event.
nruhC nrevaC is an inverted replica of this map for use in Friendly Games exclusive.
The map has a heavy amount of bushes in the center with a 2-by-2 lake right in the middle. This map lacks open space, so there are lots of walls to hide behind or take cover, and the Power Cubes boxes are mainly in the middle and in some cases, the corners of the map. Bushes that are not in the center of the map are only found in small patches and have very little impact on the map's gameplay.
- Heavyweights, such as Bull, Darryl, and El Primo or assassins like Leon and Edgar are especially strong when engaging in short-ranged combat. It is advisable to camp in the bushes in the center of the map until enemies go into or come near to the bushes. This way, short-ranged Brawlers can sneak up on enemies effectively and deal devastating amounts of damage within a quick time frame.
- Brawlers that can summon pets that follow Brawlers, such as Nita, Tick, and Tara with her Black Portal Star Power can seek out other Brawlers and find out where they are. They can also act as a meat shield against non-piercing attacks.
- Throwers like Dynamike and Tick are suitable Brawlers as they can use their wall-ignoring attacks to camp outside the middle bush and use the walls to their full advantage. Their disadvantage is that when the map is closing they will have to go into the center where they can be easily killed by heavyweights and assassins.
- Even though it might be tempting to go for the center Power Cube boxes, you might want to play it safe and get Power Cubes in the outskirts. This tactic is great with assassins and throwers.
- Rico and Colonel Ruffs can be considered decent choices because of all the walls which their attacks can bounce off of as they can find enemies in the bushes as well, especially when using Rico's Super Bouncy Star Power. Rico’s Multiball Launcher Gadget, is also useful because it shoots in every direction, which can be helpful in finding opponents in the bushes in the center. It can also deal extremely high damage because of all of the walls in various places around the map.
- Various sharpshooters are vulnerable in close contact with enemies, but it might also be a benefit since the cavern is quite narrow, except in the center.
- Gale with his Spring Ejector Gadget can be useful on this map. He can plant his launch pad in the bushes, making it so that enemies who walk into it will be flung out of the bushes. This can also be fatal to you and your duo partner if you've forgotten where you placed it. If Gale needs more time for this setup, he can use his Blustery Blow Star Power in conjunction with the launch pads. He can also use his Gadget to make enemies hesitant to cross the launch pads and trap them in the poison clouds for a few seconds.
- Tara's Psychic Enhancer Gadget can be used to locate enemy Brawlers camping in the vast amount of bushes. In addition, her Black Portal Star Power spawns a shade that can seek out enemies within the bushy terrain of the center of the map, potentially flagging up the whereabouts of hidden enemies if they are present. Bo's Circling Eagle Star Power also helps well, as he gets a permanent bigger view of the bushes.
- When playing Spike, play aggressively. Don´t be scared to go into bushes except when there is a high Power Cube Brawler, then wait for a 3rd party with another Brawler being aggressive onto that high Power Cube Brawler. Keep in mind about Spike's health as he may have enough damage but also the minimal amount of health to land a successful attack. Watch out for throwers, heavyweights, or Bo. These Brawlers can counter Spike in narrow corridors minimizing his chance of winning.
- Edgar may also be good with his Let's Fly Gadget. He can hunt down enemies easily with the pretty large jump distance he has in his Super, which actually helps him in every game mode. Plus, Edgar reloads ammo really quick so he can swipe out brawlers easily. The best team with Edgar is Barley with his Let’s Fly and Fisticuffs Star Power, as Barley can heal Edgar through walls while he is fighting other Brawlers and healing himself.
- In higher trophy Duo Showdown games, a thrower like Barley and a heavyweight or counter like Shelly can make an excellent match.
- If you don't want to go to the middle, go to the three corners of the map at the top right, bottom right and bottom left as the corners have a couple Boxes and is almost always ignored just because it is out of their sight.
- Belle is great for this map as she can place her Nest Egg Gadget practically anywhere and then camp a nearby bush as a powerful ambush.
- Stu can be excellent in this map if you are experienced. Since he can charge his Super just in one shot, you can be able to counter ambushers and make a quick escape if you have his Zero Drag Star Power. Suggested support Brawlers include Poco or Byron if you are in Duo Showdown, as since Stu is rather a low health brawler, having a healing Brawler is a good choice. However, his Gaso-Heal Star Power counters this weakness so a support Brawler isn’t always necessary. Stu's Breakthrough Gadget, does especially well on this map, due to the large amounts of walls. With this Gadget, he can easily target and kill enemies behind walls.
- Sandy is a decent choice, but the fact that most of the map has narrow paths his attack can easily hit enemies. His Rude Sands Star Power is useful for scouting the bushes in the center, making it so that Sandy could see any enemies in the bushes, while the enemies also take damage.
- A common habit or misconception many players share in this map is to head straight towards the center of the map, due to it being where most of the action happens. An alternative strategy is to play it safe around the map, and even collect Power Cubes ignored by other players. This may ensure an easier win, as by the time you would have reached the center, various enemies would have been eliminated.
- On 27/9/18, Cavern Churn was added to the game.
- On 15/4/19, Cavern Churn was removed from the game.
- On 26/6/19, Cavern Churn was added back to the game. Cavern Churn was tweaked to avoid one-tile gaps.
- On 18/12/19, the environment of Cavern Churn had changed from Storm Valley theme to Mortuary theme. Cavern Churn was affected by the Meteor Shower Modifier.
- On 2/7/20, the Modifier affecting Cavern Churn was now removed.
- On 10/9/20, Cavern Churn was removed from the game.
- On 15/12/20, Cavern Churn was added back to the game without a Modifier. The environment of Cavern Churn had changed from Mortuary theme to Storm Valley theme.